Puppy Training for Vizsla puppies
Early puppy training for Vizsla puppies
At White River Kennels, we believe that our puppies should be trained to some extent when they leave us to enter their new home but of course training by their new owner as early as possible. Some experts will say a puppy shouldn’t be trained until they are six months to one year of age. However, all dogs can benefit from obedience training as early as seven weeks old and also when they enter their new home. We have amazing Vizsla puppies for sale at White River Kennels but before you bring one home to complete your family, learn the best training methods first.
When a puppy is six months of age, most of their behavior problems have already been put into place. This means that early training can avoid any of these behavior problems before they become more difficult and frustrating to control. Bad habits are very hard to correct. Some of these habits include chewing, digging, barking, nipping etc. They are all normal behaviors of a puppy but if they are left to continue doing them, it can lead to major problems later on. Dogs learn every day what behavior will or will not be allowed.
There are some general rules to remember about puppy training:
- Preventing problems early on is easier than solving them later.
- Leaving small children alone with a new pup is not a good idea because the puppy will see these children as littermates and try to mimic their behavior. They will also try to see dominance over that child.
- Do not allow aggressive play with your puppy. Games like tug-of-war can lead to aggressive behavior and biting. Throwing a ball to chase is a much more effective game.
- Leave a sleeping puppy alone. Puppies need their rest and surprising them by waking them could lead to other incidents.
- Encourage everyone in your home to think of your puppy as a newborn whose needs and desires are similar to that new child. They are not a toy to play around with.
Remember that you are this puppy’s leader and you should use a happy, enthusiastic tone when praising your pup for good behavior. Giving them continually amounts of praise for good behavior will pay off in the long run. If you reward them for their good behavior, it will mean to them that you like the behavior and want more of it. Use a stern and loud tone when correcting bad behavior. There needs to be a distinction between good and bad behavior so that there is no confusion for the puppy.
Bad habits are hard to change in a puppy so it is extremely important that the training begins at an early age. You want your puppy to be a puppy and be happy and have fun, but if you don’t start to discipline them early you are going to end up with an unruly dog that no one wants to be around.
Our animals become our family so treat your new puppy with the respect it deserves. Adding a Vizsla puppy for sale at White River Kennels to your family means you are getting an exceptional breed of dog. They are loyal and faithful companions, trained or not. But you can create a better dog and a happier home environment with some simple training techniques at an early age.